RESTORED OLD LONDON BANK
first land sale was the site of this building in 1862. The London
Chartered Bank of Bourke was built around 1887/8 and opened in 1889,
the manager being Mr W B R Gledhill. The bank was amalgamated with
the ES&A bank in 1927.
The Gidgee Guesthouse is situated
on the site of the state heritage listed Old London Bank built in
1888. Heritage architect, Barbara Hickson, observed that, “The
former London Bank is an important and rare example of the opulent
building that derived from Bourke’s boom period as an important
inland river port”.
The accommodation wing surrounds
a large courtyard, with all rooms opening onto the lawn and gardens.
Built in 1938 by the Tancred Bros, the wing’s rooms still retain
a heritage style.